Clear actions for trace updates
Usetrace’s report helps you do the necessary actions to keep your traces updated. This will ensure that you get reliable info on what needs to be fixed or if your product is ready for release.
Tagging a failing trace as a bug is important as it tells that you have investigated the trace (see how to below) and it is showing a bug in your software. A trace can also fail because your software has changed, and the trace now needs to be updated.
Also, traces that sometimes pass and sometimes fail are problematic as they make the state of your product hard to follow. By tagging an unstable trace as flaky, the builds are no longer unstable and you avoid confusing your team.
The report explained
- Headline: Status of build (stable / unstable), successful traces / traces run, known bugs, call to action
- General information on build
- Action points to help stabilize build, with links to editor
- Trace used to be successful but now fails → Tag as bug or update traces
- Trace was tagged as bug but now passes → Remove bug tag or add flaky tag
- Traces tagged as bugs
- Traces tagged as flaky
- Traces that pass
How to investigate a bug
- Click browser name of failing trace in the report to go to editor
- Check if it is a bug OR if the trace needs to be updated
- It is a bug → tag as bug
- Needs to be updated → make necessary changes and run trace again to make sure it passes now
How to get the reports
To get started, see our instructions for setting up reporting in your channel of choice.